Search This Blog

Monday, June 14, 2010

Teaching Kids - My First Experience

Yesterday, I taught crochet for a few short hours to my children in my church as charitable event.  Building up to the class, I was nervous and apprehensive because I have not really geared my crochet teaching skills for kids but for mostly for adults. I was so terrified that I was physically weak all weekend but as Sunday rolled in, I prayed that the kids just have fun and I hope to leave some type of knowledge with them.It also dawned on me that not all the boys will want to crochet so I had to do something creative with hem.

Most of the kids were between the ages of 10 and 17 and at the beginning of the class, I donated money for anyone who can do 20 push ups.  Two boys completed the challenge and I coughed some cash to the two winners.  That was mini ice breaker!

For the class, I asked the boys to design a hat and I will crochet the best design so off they went with their drawing and cutting skills. I did not specify how they should do their design but let them do it to the best of their ability.  I began my crochet class  and my goal was have them to crochet a bookmark.

As I began to explain some of the terms such as yarn and hook to the rest of the group,  I realized I was having a difficult time trying to explain the crochet terms into words that the children will understand.
We ended up giving up the instructions on the paper and I taught them by them watching me instead of reading the instructions.  They were enthusiastic and frustrated at the same time. After half an hour, some gave up and some continued but overall, it was a great experience I had a few more giveaways at the end of the class and I also chose the best hat design.

Overall it was a great experience and I know now I need to create a children curriculum and not just for adults.  As the summer months are in, I am creating products for fall shows and fulfilling orders from clients.

I hope the kids enjoyed the experience and pick up some form of knitting or crocheting in the future.


Enjoy your day!

3 comments:

  1. It sounds like you did well! Good job! I think even some adults would have trouble with the terminology if they have never done it before. So, learning by watching you is a good thing! =)
    ~Kim

    ReplyDelete
  2. Teaching kids for the first time can be intimidating but it sounds like you did a great job! I've been doing kids arts and craft classes, as well as tutoring, for a long time. I am always making adjustments to whatever I'm doing.

    I think no matter what you teach, there will always be some that are totally gung-ho and see it through to the end and some that give up right away and many in the middle. If you had several that made it through to the end, then you had a successful class! Good job! :)

    - Malea

    PS - found you on the Etsy forums...

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are the second person, I know who is hooked on crochet. I am glad you took time to teach kids. As a cook, I am trying to create a program to teach kids how to cook as a way to fight obesity. It is always intimidating to teach but when you get it going, it is a great experience. Go Nnenna!

    ReplyDelete