Search This Blog

Thursday, March 18, 2010

Reaching the goal with different methods

I spent my day in NYC yesterday.Even through I was in a building all day, it was fun and exciting to take the train, hang out with everyone looking like they are always in a rush. I have not done that in a long time since I moved to New Jersey. I grew up in the Bronx and lived in Brooklyn for over 15 years so living in New Jersey is a different lifestyle!

For the past few weeks, I have been studying and learning how to teach crochet. I am in the process of completing my homework so I can be a Certified Crochet Instructor. Isn't that cool? I have learned so much and one of the things I learned is a different way of increasing and decreasing stitches.

When I started to crochet at a young age, I never ever read a book but crochet from what everyone showed me. As I got older, I began to read books and patterns.
I am in the process of making a halter top with squares and half square motifs and I have been scratching my head on how to do a half square motif( triangle) without fastening off each row and then join yarn to the next row. Too much work and sewing to do as I am not a big fan of sewing.

In any case, as I mentioned, the home works that I need to do for my certification called for one of these triangles and it taught me not to crochet from bottom of the triangle to the top but to crochet from the top to the bottom making it very clean and edges are beautiful as shown below



Now, I can go back to trying to finish my halter top.
Because I am self taught sometimes I make it more difficult than it should be but I have to learn to allow myself to learn from other people because if I resist learning from other people, it will make my journey as a crochet designer more difficult and less enjoyable.

I will showcase my halter top shortly on my websites but you can still check out the other item at www.nekinaturals.com or neki.etsy.com

Stay Tuned

No comments:

Post a Comment