Search This Blog

Monday, March 1, 2010

An Afternoon on Broadway - FELA

This weekend has to be one of my best of 2010 and I know it is still too early but my husband and I got the chance of having a date to NYC and saw the Broadway show - FELA. I need to talk about it today. :)

Now with my African heritage, I was skeptical of the show since it was kind of strange to me how Nigerian music can be played on Broadway. But I have to tell you, I was so moved by the play and the music of Fela Kuti. It was basically a biography of Fela Kuti who was an African musician and in the 1960s, his educated parents sent him to London to study Medicine but he studied Jazz. ( Note that his brothers are medical doctors). He even got more inspired when he met a few Americans and learned a few more things about racism. In any case, he went back to Nigeria and became a political activist through his music to stop the corruption and maltreatment of nigerians by the government. His mother and members of his family were killed, he was tortured so many times BUT his music oh his music transcends all cultural barrier.
He was a multi-instrumentalist musician and composer, pioneer of afrobeat music, human rights activist, and political maverick. I am in awe of music and how folks can not just write songs but compose the music as well in any culture.
The Broadway show felt like I was in one of his concerts. He had a way of talking to the audience that pulls you into his music and energizing you to go take on the world. I loved it! Next to Crocheting, listening to music and dancing are definitely on top of my hobby list but if you ever have the chance of seeing show, please do.
You can also check out his music on itunes.

I am offering FREE Online Crocheting Classes this summer.
If you are interested or know someone who is interested,
please visit http://nekinaturals.com/index.php?act=viewClasses.


Stay Tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment