Search This Blog

Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Fun Filled Fulfilling Crochet Teaching Experience

A week ago, I had the pleasure of teaching crochet to a group of fantastic christian women at the Hackettstown Seventh Day Adventist Church in Hackettstown, NJ. They had contacted me months ago to teach crochet to them and I have to say that this teaching experience was very different from the other classes I have taught.

Since this was a way for me to give back to my surrounding community, I thought that there will be less  people and motivation to learn. Did they prove me wrong! They were twenty women of different ages ranging from pre teens to seniors and they had so much excitement! Most of the women wanted to either remember how to crochet or trying it out the first time so they can join other churches int he neighbourhood to crochet for charities. One of the groups that they wanted to join crochet baby hats fort the Hackettstown Hospital in New Jersey. Guess what? I had my son at the same hospital two years ago and I can tell you I have one of those hats!

There was food and christain music in the background. Everyone ate and I started to teach them how to crochet using a bookmark crochet pattern which I will share in the next blog.  Women who through this class remembered how to crochet started to help me with the beginners since there were a lot of people. People were laughing and crocheting. Young women who did other crafts wanted to know about ETSY and selling their products online. The Organizer of the event was Dora Martinez, a beautiful soul and quiet leader who went beyond to make this event a special occasion. At the end of the class, they had a raffle and all four winners received a huge ball of yarn. Everyone went home with a new crochet hook and full stomach.

To add icing to the cake, I received a beautiful thank you card that inspires me to keep going when I am having difficult days. There are so many reasons to crochet and to know that teaching crochet allows people to learn a new skill that thy can use to give back to the community makes my life rich and full of gratitude.


If you want to invite me to teach crochet to a group, church or organization, you can find me at twitter or facebook. It is free two hour event that will be fulfilling for all.

Enjoy!


Express yourself with handmade! Nnenna Pastor is a crochet designer and instructor. Other places to visit Neki Naturals are http://neki.etsy.com and join Neki Naturals on facebook @ http://www.facebook.com/NekiNaturals

No comments:

Post a Comment