Search This Blog

Thursday, October 14, 2010

The Magic of Aloe Vera - Validated Benefits.

For anyone who attempts or runs on a regular basis, the last thing you want is to itch while running.  This past weekend, as I ran past my first mile, I started to itch and swell up all over my body. I tried to take off as much layers as possible to cool off my skin and maybe be able to finish my workout. But by the fifth mile, the itching and swelling was unbearable and headed straight to a cold shower and lathered myself with Aloe Vera. Immediately, the itching stopped. I could not believe it! I always have Aloe Vera in the house for emergency purposes especially sun burns but never really used it for anything else.
In addition, I have several Aloe Vera plants at home! After my itching episode, I went digging  for more information on this plant.  Here is what I found:

Aloe Vera is a stemless or very short-stemmed succulent plant growing to 60–100 cm (24–39 in) tall.  It is prickly in nature and mostly 95% water.

In addition to soothing itches, these are additional uses for Aloe Vera:

  • Speed the healing of woods and burns
  • Softens the skin
  • Soothing inflammation and sunburns
  • Treatment of minor skin infections
  • Retwisting of dreadlocks
  • Hand Sanitizer - Mix aloe vera gel with rubbing alcohol. 

It can be found in gel, liquid or included in skin and topical creams depending on the usage.
Try to always keep one gel bottle at home or one plant. You never know when it will be needed.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment